Saturday, December 27, 2008

Post-Queensland (part 1 of 2)

Written on Wednesday, the 3rd of December, 2008.

Since last Saturday I’ve been on the road w/ a rough itinerary and an open mind down to do whatever, wherever, whenever. The Friday before I left reminded me of the scene from the movie “Club Dread” where everybody was going crazy/ hysteric because they all knew they were ‘gonna die.’ Everybody was done with finals and people got pissed drunk… Roddy’s band played at the Uni club, an appropriate farewell event if you ask me.

I left for the airport that night/morning around 4:15 and arrived in Melbourne around 12pm. I called around for open beds and bunked down at MIB (backpackers). After walking the city, I didn’t do much that night except play UNO w/ like 4 Germans n drank some goon, (the last goon I’d have in OZ I think). [Written on Dec 15th 2008] Before that I met up w/ my long lost second cousin (whose my mom’s cousin from the Philippines who moved to Aus in the 80’s). She bought me dinner and we walked around the city taking too many photos w/ each other. It was great but kind of exhausting at the same time. The next day I met up w/ my buddy Brendan (BJ) who lives in Melbourne (whom I met in Vancouver BC last new years). We went out to his local suburb bar where heaps of cute Melbourne girls and crazy dudes all on x were partying. It was alright but a lil too Australian scene for me; but I loved the experience. After sleeping at his (his mom’s) house that night, we woke up early and headed towards the Great Ocean Road for the day. It was awesome. I love the kid; we’re practically best friends for only knowing each other for such a short time. Driving down the coast we stopped at many surf/view points along w/ listening to the best music/talking about life which BJ is the best motivator/advice giver ever. We finally made it to the 12 apostles (famous Australian tourist stop), then finally to his buddy’s house in Wornboull *sp. Cooked up some great Roo for the last time n had a Jack Danielle’s feast. The next morn we drove back up the coast, got dropped off at the Avilon airport and boarded a plane to Sydney

Once I landed in Sydney it was a totally diff scene. I was by myself w/ no plan but to explore the place. So, I gotta ride to the central x-base hostel, walked to the Opera house that night n took it easy. That night I met up w/ a great Norwegian friend from JCU who was staying in King’s Cross (the prostitute/ alternative but not nearly as bad as 82nd part of Sydney),, well we met up at a nice place called the “Scruffy Murphy’s”. w/ 7 dollar Jugs, the Tuy’s New was flowin all night. I met up w/ some USD kids who were studying in the area for a lil bit, but continued to chill w/ the Norwegians/Germans next to the live band. I kinda recall hittin it off w/ some British girl around that time, but my buddy wouldn’t stop talking about his girlfriend back home (infront of us)/ her friend had let the bar so that ended up nowhere. The night ended up w/ me getting kicked out of the bar b/c I was supposedly “wandering around” while I was only looking for my friend, but I must say, the Tuy’s New had gotten to me at that point, so they actually had done me a favor in allowing me to return back to the hostel. The next day I woke up w/ a splitting headache, and after a cute Danish girl in my room told me to drink water/take some meds, I felt wayyyy better a few hrs later. After I recovered, I met up w/ another 2nd cousin of mine who is also my mom’s cousin from the Philippines who lives near Sydney (I had met them when I was like 10) and it was great. We again, walked around the city and talked bout family/life stuff. After meeting w/ them, I met up w/ my buddy Alex Squadrito from JCU (orig. from Phili) who is quite the character. We again, walked the whole city, eating burritos in King’s Cross, walking to the botanical gardens and the opera house and drinking some fine Guinness/ JD shots at some nice lil irish pub (gotta love them Irish Pubs). We departed, n I just took the night easy where I first started to write this long ass blog. The next day I woke up, met up w/ my buddy Mat Sommers from JCU (whom I am traveling in NZ w/ at the moment), went to China Town, got some grub, planned our NZ trip a lil more n went to some shitty ass bar then finally went to bed. Ahhh Sydney was great.

The next day we both flew to New Zealand seeing awesome views on the way down (including Mt. Cook). And from here I will write another blog once my NZ trip has finished, but as for now on the 15th of Dec 2008, I got more places to see, people to meet, and things to do. As for now, take care my brothers and sisters…

No comments: