Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Day 27, Mile 454.5, The Saufly's in Agua Dulce

Wrightwood was great. I ate way too many chips at the mexican food restaurant that prevented me from finishing my burrito. I had to use the restroom mid-meal, just to miss an amazing performance by the "Three Gay Caballeros" (an amazing team of guys from Bolder, CO) who sang a song in harmony and in Hebrew. The next morning I got to sleep in and pack in as much food in me before the climb out of Wrightwood. After leaving the town in the afternoon, we had a big climb to the summit of Mt. Baden Powell, a little over 9000ft, where many other day hikers and boy scouts were climbing (apparently Mr. Powell had founded the boyscouts). The summit was great and I enjoyed cooking a nice meal on top with 3 Bears. 
3 Bear, catchin some air after the big climb
That night we camped on the outskirts of a camp filled with boyscouts, woke up the next morning and hiked all day through the Endangered Species Detour (PCT is closed for about 4 miles due to an endangered yellow spotted toad). After a long road walk, we finally made it back to the trail, and eventually to camp. It was Charles' birthday (one of the 3 caballeros) so we celebrated with some tequila and a solar eclipse. The next day we hiked up and up through some Poodle Dog Bush (poisonous) and the Station Fire area. In 2009 hundreds of thousands of acres were burnt in this area, killing two fire fighters and set up perfect conditions for Poodle Dog to grow. The sunset that night was amazing for we were on top of the San Gabriel mountains looking to LA way off in the distance. 

The next morning we woke up and hiked a hard and long downhill to the KOA campground where we were greeted with trail magic (fried chicken, gatorade, and candy) from Visa. Visa is a known figure on the PCT: His wife died of hyperthermia on the PCT in the 90's. His two sons hike the trail in memory of their mother a couple years ago, and thus started the 'Anderson Challenge' (drinking 24 beers in 24 miles, which I won't be doing). Visa himself, is a beloved trail Angel and is unfortunately battling throat cancer. We all wish him the best of luck and thank him for his generosity. The KOA campground also had some ice cream that we stuffed down!

To finish the day, we hiked to the Saufly's in Agua Dulce. This is one of the more popular Trail Angel stops who run their 'hostel' like a swiss watch. They're known for their 'corporate efficiency'. When I arrived, I jumped into some loaner cloths while they did my laundry. I then took a shower, grabbed a bed, and socialized with other hikers I haven't seen for some time. This place is amazing and can not thank Donna enough for the operation she runs here. Photos and more about this stop coming soon! I'm currently planning my resupply strategy for the Sierras so time is of the essence. 

To Be Continued...

No comments: